Forum Discussion

kazeem_yusuf1
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Aug 01, 2018

An Irule for Client Ssl Profile that Allows Unassigned TLS Extension Values (17516)

Hello Community,

I have a requirement to allow enriched https header enrichment. The SSL negotiation (I'm doing ssl termination on F5) fails because the enriched header from client contains reserved tls extension values. (https://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-extensiontype-values/tls-extensiontype-values.xhtmltls-extensiontype-values-1).

The Client Hello request in the SSL Handshake was captured and contained an Extensions list, which included a reserved TLS Extension value (17156), which the F5 isn't presenting in Server Hello.

I need an irule that can allow that Extension to be added on the client ssl profile so the ssl handshake doesn't fail.

25 Replies

• Hum ok....DO you have a summary of what you have propose and the purpose please in order to understand

Stan_PIRON_F5
      Icon for Employee rankEmployee

The goal of this code is:

• disable SSL profile on client side to disable TLS inspection before the code ends
      • binary search the expected extension
      • save in variable tls_extension_17516 the content of extension type 17516
      • save in variable ext_start the index of beginning of extension 17516
      • save in variable ext_len the extension 17516 length
      • replace in payload the extension with no value (from ext_start with length ext_len)

missing in the code :

• change extension length to new value
      • change handshake length to new value

I will update the code with missing commands later.

Baba_TABOURE
        Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

The TLS session succeed now but the problem is to fetch the data value in the extension and sent it to a proper format (hexa, decimal ou string) to the server.

Stan_PIRON_F5
        Icon for Employee rankEmployee

So the last version is working to:

• extract and remove attribute 17516 from client side CLIENT_HELLO before BigIP TLS catches the packet (to make the packet RFC compliant because the incoming packet was not)
        • insert in on server side CLIENT_HELLO with full TLS RFC compliance

The previous rule was doing the same, the only change I made was to convert signed integer to unsigned, which may not solve the issue but prevent infinite loop if a malformed packet was sent.

• If you're trying to reflect the client's MSISDN extension to the server, you definitely want to use the SERVERSSL_CLIENTHELLO_SEND event. It does not require forward proxy to use this event.

when SERVERSSL_CLIENTHELLO_SEND {
        set msisdn "foobar"
        set bin [binary format S1S1S1S1ca* 17516 [expr [string length ${msisdn}] + 5] [expr [string length ${msisdn}] + 3] 0 [string length ${msisdn}] ${msisdn}]   
        SSL::extensions insert $bin
    }

• Is this extension inserted by a public tool or are you writing your SSL client?

your code try to insert the extension in CLIENTHELLO packet

Do you want to insert it in SERVERHELLO packet?

• I added this irule, it created an extension actually, but there was no data under it.

when CLIENTSSL_CLIENTHELLO { set my_ext "Hello world!" set my_ext_type 17516 SSL::extensions insert [binary format S1S1a* $my_ext_type [string length $my_ext] $my_ext] }