Forum Discussion

EGhannam_210078
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 06, 2015

Configure X-forwarded-for on WebSphere App server

Hi,

I need to use X-forwarded-for to print data from the client that hit the load balance in WebSphere app server.

My architecture as follows:

5 app server connect to --- F5 ---- directed request to 2 app server

Can I use X-forwarded-for to print these data directly from F5 to the app servers SystemOut since I do not use HTTP servers?

Regards,

3 Replies

• XFF is an HTTP header. If your application servers are not doing HTTP, then what protocol?

• I can't speak for the configuration of the app server, but you've verified that the application is indeed HTTP-based. Enabling the X-Forwarded-For option in an HTTP profile applied to the BIG-IP virtual server will cause it to send the client's true source address in the XFF HTTP header to the server.

• From what I understand of Solr, it's a Java-based application that you install in a WebSphere or Tomcat environment. That essentially means it's HTTP-based, by virtue of the web engine, and has the ability to consume HTTP headers. We can certainly tell you how to get an HTTP header to the web server, but you're going to need to search Solr documentation on how to consume HTTP headers.