Forum Discussion

Susan_Cahill_82
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 20, 2006

Cookie Insert Persistance - Same V Server, different Service

I need to create an IRule that will do a cookie insert and I can't use other cookie persistant functions.

There are two different services set up (443 & 80) for the same virtual server, a user may start on port 80 and then be redirected to port 443, I need the persistant cookie to be retained from port 80 to port 443. Has anyone done anything like this?

13 Replies

• Try using a http profile that has the "Persist across virtual servers" and "Persist across virtual services" checkboxes enabled.

Denny
  • Unfortunately we don't have that option. We're running version 9.2.3 and the Match Across Server option is not available for cookie insert profile. The only cookie method that will Match Across Servers is Hash.

• Hi,

"match across" functionality was never actually available for anything but hash persistence, but the CLI/GUI errantly allowed it to be configured. This was fixed in 9.2.x as noted in CR54410.

I went through and tested using cookie persistence on two VIPs on the same virtual address:

VIP1:443 -> client SSL profile -> pool1:80

VIP1:80 -> iRule to redirect requests to /redirect to HTTPS, else use pool1:80

I made a few requests to VIP1:80 that didn't match the redirect rule, so a persistence cookie would be set. I saw the following cookie set by the BIG-IP:

BIGipServerhttp_200_2_node_pool=1090526636.20736.0000; path=/

The cookie value can be calculated using the following formula:

You can perform the encoding using the following equation for address (a.b.c.d):

d*(256^3) + c*(256^2) + b*256 +a

The way to encode the port is to take the two bytes that store the port and reverse them. Thus, port 80 becomes 80 * 256 + 0 = 20480. Port 1433 (instead of 5 * 256 + 153) becomes 153 * 256 + 5 = 39173.

I then made a request which was redirected by the rule to HTTPS://[HTTP::host]. The browser still presented the cookie as the HTTP host of the cookie matched the requested host. The request was persisted to the same node in pool1:80.

At this point, I don't think this is an iRule issue (or even a persistence issue), as persistence is working as expected.

I talked with the person in Support who was working on your case and gave them this info. I asked them to contact you to get more debug information to help solve this problem. If you have any questions, please refer to the case.

Thanks,

Aaron