Forum Discussion

EA_Hicham_26895
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 15, 2018
Solved

DNS Express as Slave

Hello guys, I'm setting up DNS Express to serve as a secondary NS for my zone. A hidden master is configured using NSD server. The initial AXFR query is successful when creating the zone on the BigIP. But when a notify is sent from the master to the BigIP, I'm getting an error (captured on tcpdump) saying : DNS123Zone change notification response 0xe24e Not authoritative SOA zone.com TSIG. NB: the IP address of the master is added on "Allow NOTIFY From" list Any hints

• Greetings,

I set up UDP virtual server (notify listener) per this article and it seems to be working:

K45411181: Configuring DNS Express using tmsh

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K45411181

When I change serial and initiate transfer from NS, DNS Express is updated. Without virtual, DNS Express says not authoritative.

Hope this is helpful!

Kevin

3 Replies

Anesh
    Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
    • Can you provide the zone definition from the named.conf of master?
    • Also,can you provide the zone definition from the named.conf of GTM/DNS?
    Kevin_K_51432
    Historic F5 Account

Greetings,

I set up UDP virtual server (notify listener) per this article and it seems to be working:

K45411181: Configuring DNS Express using tmsh

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K45411181

When I change serial and initiate transfer from NS, DNS Express is updated. Without virtual, DNS Express says not authoritative.

Hope this is helpful!

Kevin

EA_Hicham
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hello Kevin, So, I erased all the DNS configuration and restarted from scratch following the K45411181 and adding the notification virtual server. Although, according to the article, it is not necessary to do so, since i'm not running an HA Cluster, it did solve the "Not authoritative SOA" problem. Unfortunately, it did not solve all my problems. NSD DNS Server does not implement IXFR responses. So unless forcing DNS Express to execute and AXFR each time, I don't think F5 DNS Express and NSD can work toghether (which is a bit strange). Cheers. Hicham