Forum Discussion

May 06, 2016

Do I need a "Route" configured for route domain 0?

Hi all, I'm currrently using route domain 0 for everything on the Big-IP. I've not created any other route domains. When I go to Network > Routes, there are no routes listed. Do I need to create a default route for route domain 0? What does route domain 0 use as its default route if I don't specify one?

11 Replies

• Hello,

If you can reach the F5 or the F5 can reach all required resources without any default gateway, it's fine, no need to add a route. Otherwise, you will need to add a default route on Network >> Route or using a tmsh command :

create /net route 0.0.0.0/0 gw 30.99.99.254

No need to take care of the route domain. If you don't specify any route domain in the route configuration it's a route used within route domain 0.

Sarah_258804
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      I am able to reach everything that I need to from the F5, but how do I know which interface it's communicating on? I want to be sure it's not relying on my management IP address.
      Micros_88999
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      If its the reply (for a client hitting a virtual server f/e), then f5 using the Auto Last Hop feature. Nor replies it wont use the management interface.
      Yann_Desmarest_
      Icon for Nacreous rankNacreous
      Simple, if the destination you try to reach is directly connected to the F5 by a Self IP, it's fine. If you are able to reach a destination that is not directly connected, the traffic probably use the management port. To make sure, you can launch a tcpdump command on the cli and see if there is traffic outgoing to the mgmt
  • Hello,

If you can reach the F5 or the F5 can reach all required resources without any default gateway, it's fine, no need to add a route. Otherwise, you will need to add a default route on Network >> Route or using a tmsh command :

create /net route 0.0.0.0/0 gw 30.99.99.254

No need to take care of the route domain. If you don't specify any route domain in the route configuration it's a route used within route domain 0.

Sarah_258804
      I am able to reach everything that I need to from the F5, but how do I know which interface it's communicating on? I want to be sure it's not relying on my management IP address.
      Micros_88999
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      If its the reply (for a client hitting a virtual server f/e), then f5 using the Auto Last Hop feature. Nor replies it wont use the management interface.
      Yann_Desmarest
      Simple, if the destination you try to reach is directly connected to the F5 by a Self IP, it's fine. If you are able to reach a destination that is not directly connected, the traffic probably use the management port. To make sure, you can launch a tcpdump command on the cli and see if there is traffic outgoing to the mgmt
  • For management access, I believe there is a default route set, but that is for management traffic. (tmsh list sys management-route)

outgoing: If there is an interface connected, where the network matches the destination, the device will use that interface. (tmsh show net route)

incoming/replies For replies, the device will use: Auto Last Hop. The device will send the reply to the MAC address on the interface where it received the request.

I hope I could help!