Forum Discussion

May 09, 2016
Solved

Does the Big-IP use its management IP address to query the internet for F5 updates?

I'm seeing my F5 try to query the internet to check for updates after I manually pressed "Check Now" from the update check page. It's currently trying to reach out to the internet from its Self-IP, not the management address.

Should the F5 being using its Self-IP by default to query that update server out in the internet or should it be using its management IP address?

I ask because I currently have a static default route on the F5 that says if you're going to 0.0.0.0, take your default gateway at 10.251.12.1 (the default gateway for the Self-IP).

Is this why it's trying to source the request from that address or would it be doing it by default anyway even if I didn't have that default route set?

• Hi Sarah,

The BIG-IP prefers the tmm route where possible. There are some nuances so I recommend that you take a look at sol13284.

Regards, Michael.

5 Replies

zeiss_63263
    Historic F5 Account

Hi Sarah,

The BIG-IP prefers the tmm route where possible. There are some nuances so I recommend that you take a look at sol13284.

Regards, Michael.

JG
      Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus
      Crystal clear now. Thanks!
      zeiss_63263
      Historic F5 Account
      TMM does not handle the SSH or web UI. Those are Linux userspace applications. If you're connecting to a BIG-IP management service via a TMM interface IP *and* TMM permits the port(s) on that interface, then TMM will hand the session off to Linux.
      JG
      Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus
      Good article, but can anybody give an example to explain "If the self IP address is configured to allow a connection to the destination service port, TMM hands the connection off to the Linux operating system, which then processes the connection request" mentioned in the article?