Forum Discussion

La_Admin_53194
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 28, 2010

Error An unhandled exception occurred in the F5 Networks Management Pack data source.

Hi everyone,

I'm new with Scom 2007, and I'm trying to configure the management pack parameters, but there's some error that is appearing in the F5 log: "An unhandled exception occurred in the F5 Networks Management Pack data source". What does it mean?.

Thanks for your help!

4 Replies

Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    You probably get 405 event ID errors in the F5 Monitoring Log (in the Event Log). The error event should contain more details about the failure, basically stating that the connection to the F5 data source(s) could not be successfully made. This error may occur when the F5 Management Pack workflows are not running properly within the SCOM Health Service. Are you getting these errors on the SCOM root management server (RMS)? Or a management server? Can you tell us more about your SCOM environment? Is it a distributed management server environment, with RMS and [multiple] management servers?

If you deploy the F5 Management Pack in a distributed management server environment, make sure you install the F5 MPk on the RMS first. See the following article for more details on how to install the F5 MPk: http://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/default.aspx/MgmtPack/InstallingTheF5ManagementPack.html

You can also send us the setup.log file (in the Program Files\F5 Networks\Management Pack folder) to managementpack(at)f5(dot)com. This would give us some information about the deployment. Let us know, and we'll do our best to assist you.

Thank you,

Julian
  • Hi Julian, Thanks for your reply,

Indeed, there is an 405 error in F5 log, here is the description:

Data Source [PerformanceDataSource] reported an unhandled server exception: terminating=True error=Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.HealthService.ModuleException: The singleton data source PerformanceDataSource has already been loaded with id=39086322; failing load of 7531977. Check the data source configuration and restart the associated module and/or Health Service at F5Networks.ManagementPack.DataAccess.OperationsManager.DataSource.Sources.DataSourceBase`3..ctor(ModuleHost`1 moduleHost, XmlReader configuration, Byte[] previousState)

and there are warnings event id 800 with the description "Unable to update collection rules due to data failure".

I'm getting these errors from the management server. The SCOM enviroment here works with two servers, one for the database and other for the application, the same RMS. we dont have more management servers in the network..

I'm sending the setup.log to the email that you give.

Thanks for your help!

Liliana.

Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    Thank you Liliana.

I got the setup log, analyzed it and everything looks fine (apart from the few previously failed attempts to install the F5 Management Pack). So I assume the F5 MPk and the related datasources are correctly deployed in SCOM, which makes me think that the error condition signaled by the 405 and 800 event IDs may be caused by a stale state of the F5 workflows in the SCOM HealthService. If you restart the SCOM HealthService (and consequently the F5 Monitoring Service would restart because of the dependency), are you still getting the 405 error? Is the error re-occurring in a timely manner?

If you still get the errors, we can further investigate the sanity of the F5 workflows / SCOM HealthService by analyzing the Operations Manager event log, which you could forward to us at managementpack(at)f5(dot)com. You can also use the Workflow Analyzer tool (in the SCOM 2007 R2 Authoring Resource Kit) to check the state of the running F5 workflows in SCOM. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9104af8b-ff87-45a1-81cd-b73e6f6b51f0&displaylang=en

You can also check for failed workflows by running the related SCOM task in the Management Console >> Monitoring >> Management Group Diagram >> select the RMS in the diagram view >> Health Service Tasks (on the right) >> run the following tasks:

- Check Health Service Startup Configuration Diagnostic Task (used by Health Explorer)

- Show Failed Rules and Monitors for this Health Service

Let us know about the results of these tasks. If you want to expedite the troubleshooting process, we can also assist you trough a GoToMeeting session and try to help you directly, to get this problem solved as soon as possible.

Julian

Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    On a second thought, I would also ask if you may have some rule overrides defined already, for the F5 Management Pack? If you do, make sure the rule overrides are defined correctly, by using the following F5 Dev Central article as a guide:

http://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/default.aspx/MgmtPack/PerformanceCollectionAndMonitoring.html

It is very important to set the appropriate targets on the F5 rule overrides as outlined in the article, otherwise you may end up with multiple workflows for the same rule, stepping on each other. If you send us the trace.log file (in Program Files\F5 Networks\Management Pack\log folder) and the 'F5 Monitoring Log' event log, we can probably get more information on the errors in this case.

If you don't have any rule overrides defined for the F5 Management Pack, you can disregard this note, and then we'll proceed with the troubleshooting suggested in my previous post.

Thank you.

Julian