Forum Discussion

ashk
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Dec 21, 2023

F5 DNS for External websites

Greetings everyone,

I require assistance with F5 DNS resolution for external websites. I have a website hosted on GoDaddy, for example, mapmap.org. Currently, it points to a single A record, and I aim to implement load balancing between the IPs. To achieve this, I configured a wideip named mapmap.xxx.org and created aliases for mapmap.org and www.mapmap.org. also, pointed Godaddy DNS to my F5 DNS listener IP /NS by removing A record in Godaddy dns. 

Subsequently, Zonerunner was set up with SOA and NS, using the F5 Listener IP. Upon performing an nslookup, I successfully obtained the answers. However, I noticed a .org. zone created as self, with these alias records falling under that zone.

Is it acceptable to have a zone with .org and include these alias records, or is there an alternative approach for this configuration? I appreciate any assistance provided.

4 Replies

• it's better if you share the dns records in godady and f5 config.

usually, f5 dns implementaiton using dns record is like this:

Origin::
    a. In godaddy:
    host1.mycompany.com	IN A 1.2.3.4
    host2.mycompany.com	IN A 11.12.13.14
    host3.mycompany.com	IN A 21.22.23.24

New using F5 DNS::
    a. In godaddy: declare new subdomain to be NS-ed by F5 DNS and create alias record for previous A records
    f5dc1.mycompany.com IN A 5.6.7.8		 /// Datacenter1 F5 DNS listener address
    f5dc2.mycompany.com IN A 15.16.17.18		 /// Datacenter2 F5 DNS address
    f5dns.mycompany.com	IN NS f5dc1.mycompany.com
    f5dns.mycompany.com	IN NS f5dc2.mycompany.com
    host1.mycompany.com	IN CNAME host1.f5dns.mycompany.com
    host2.mycompany.com	IN CNAME host2.f5dns.mycompany.com
    host3.mycompany.com	IN CNAME host3.f5dns.mycompany.com

b. In F5 DNS:
    create wideip configs for host1.f5dns.mycompany.com, host2.f5dns.mycompany.com, host3.f5dns.mycompany.com which basically serves:
    host1.f5dns.mycompany.com	IN A ....	//IP address is decided dynamically by F5 DNS
    host2.f5dns.mycompany.com	IN A ....	//IP address is decided dynamically by F5 DNS
    host3.f5dns.mycompany.com	IN A ....	//IP address is decided dynamically by F5 DNS

ashk
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

I agree with the config you said, but it is good for *.mycompany.com. its a subdomain and TLD. I have only top level domain .org like example www.mapmap.org where there is no company name or subdomain. Wanted to see how to achive in this scenario. 

zamroni777
        Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus

so basically originaly you have these records in godaddy:
        mapmap.org IN NS ...godady name servers...
        mapmap.org IN A ....you webserver public ip adress...

So in godaddy, you still need to delete "mapmap.org IN A ..." and create subdomain and alias such as:
        f5dns.mapmap.org IN NS ... f5dc1 and f5dc2...
        mapmap.org IN CNAME host1.f5dns.mapmap.org

• Today, I tried this and getting empty response for mapmap.org and its working for anything.mapmap.org.

Toplevel domain is not working. :( returning and empty response.