Forum Discussion

Manik_282561
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 06, 2017
Solved

F5 Log monitoring

We are having LTM,ASM and APM modules in our F5 device. I need to check and monitor the logs on daily basis. Please help me with commands and procedures to check the logs every day.

• Unix command

tail -f
    or
    tailf
    will print out the last 10 lines of a file and then wait for the file to grow.

You can try other unix command to check log file

cat /var/log/ltm | more  --> It will return page wise log file & press spacebar
    more /var/log/ltm 

If you wanted to see older log(i.e previous day) file then

zcat /var/log/ltm.1.gz | more

Remote log management is always best option to monitor log.

7 Replies

• Hi Manik

tailf /var/log/ for instance tailf /var/log/ltm. this requires you to be ssh(ed) into the box on a daily basis. Alternatively you can setup remote logging, this should be best as you require daily basis analysis.

HTH eben.

Manik_282561

Hi Eben,

Thanks for you comments. Please help me on what needs to be check on daily basis in logs. I had tried the above command in cli I am getting logs.

eben_259100
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus

The answer to this is "It depends" 1. what information you want to get. 2. what module you are troubleshooting. 3. etc. for instance, if you want information on config change, who made the change to the box and details like that, You will be looking at the audit logs.

eben

Hi Manik

tailf /var/log/ for instance tailf /var/log/ltm. this requires you to be ssh(ed) into the box on a daily basis. Alternatively you can setup remote logging, this should be best as you require daily basis analysis.

HTH eben.

Manik_282561

Hi Eben,

Thanks for you comments. Please help me on what needs to be check on daily basis in logs. I had tried the above command in cli I am getting logs.

eben

The answer to this is "It depends" 1. what information you want to get. 2. what module you are troubleshooting. 3. etc. for instance, if you want information on config change, who made the change to the box and details like that, You will be looking at the audit logs.

• Unix command

tail -f
    or
    tailf
    will print out the last 10 lines of a file and then wait for the file to grow.

You can try other unix command to check log file

cat /var/log/ltm | more  --> It will return page wise log file & press spacebar
    more /var/log/ltm 

If you wanted to see older log(i.e previous day) file then

zcat /var/log/ltm.1.gz | more

Remote log management is always best option to monitor log.