Forum Discussion

VFB
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Jan 22, 2018

Header persistence from client

I'm working on an iRule to look at the POST header from a client to look at "jsessionid" and add a 10 minute persistence timer. I created the universal profile and the iRule, but the F5 is only sending data to 1 server.

*when HTTP_REQUEST { if {[HTTP::header exists "jsessionid"]} { persist uie {persist_600}} *

16 Replies

Jeff_Maddox_394
    Historic F5 Account

ok, so the SessionID value is set in the original POST? Then is that header sent in every subsequent HTTP request?

• No dice on that iRule either. The issue is the uie profile doesn't have a sticky persistence, only idle. How do I add persistence once the iRule sees the header? There is no cookie involved in this session from the above responses.

Jeff_Maddox_394
    Historic F5 Account

I go the following rule to work. It times out after 10 seconds, which is the value I used to test: I sent curl commands with 2 different values for the header and it created 2 different persist records.

when HTTP_REQUEST { set hVal [HTTP::header value "SessionId"] if { $hVal ne "" } { persist uie $hVal 10 } }

root@(localhost)(cfg-sync Standalone)(Active)(/Common)(tmos) show ltm persistence persist-records all-properties Sys::Persistent Connections

universal - 192.168.1.105:80 - 172.16.0.100:80

TMM 1

Mode universal

Value 45345dddd

Age (sec.) 3

Virtual Name /Common/test

Virtual Addr 192.168.1.105:80

Node Addr 172.16.0.100:80

Pool Name /Common/dvwa-secure

Client Addr 192.168.1.100

Owner entry

universal - 192.168.1.105:80 - 172.16.0.100:80

TMM 0

Mode universal

Value 12345

Age (sec.) 4

Virtual Name /Common/test

Virtual Addr 192.168.1.105:80

Node Addr 172.16.0.100:80

Pool Name /Common/dvwa-secure

Client Addr 192.168.1.100

Owner entry

Total records returned: 2

• This is the Cisco ACE configuration I've been attempting to replicate. While I can see the persistence record, I still get traffic with the same header go to a different server.

sticky http-header SessionID http-session-id serverfarm dp-serverfarm timeout 35

My current iRule:

when HTTP_RESPONSE { if { [HTTP::header exists SessionID] } { persist on the server persist add uie [HTTP::header value SessionID] } } when HTTP_REQUEST { if { [HTTP::header exists SessionID] } { Back to the server persist uie [HTTP::header value SessionID] } }

Jeff_Maddox_394
    Historic F5 Account

OK, if the persist entry is being made, but requests still going to different servers, take a look at this: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K7964 It explains how the LB and persist work together. You will need oneconnect OR a LB::detach statement, as explained in the KB article.