Forum Discussion

Will_33786
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 16, 2015
Solved

How do I record the IP assigned to a client after login?

Hello,

I need to record clients' IP address assigned by network access. I searched on Ask f5 it looks like that the variable "session.assigned.clientip" is what I need. So I tried to use an irule to get it but failed.

Here is my irule:

when ACCESS_SESSION_STARTED  {
  set user   [ACCESS::session data get "session.logon.last.username"]
  set client [IP::client_addr]
  set assignip [ACCESS::session data get "session.assigned.clientip"]

log local0. "LOGON:$user login successful from $client, assigned $assignip"
}

I have tried other events like ACCESS_POLICY_AGENT_EVENT, ACCESS_POLICY_COMPLETED but haven't worked either. Does anyone know how can I log the clients' IP address assigned by network access. I will appreciate it!

• The VPN address is assigned after the APM policy is completed. Use an iRule to detect the VPN startup URI and then wait a few seconds before querying session.assigned.clientip.

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {
        ACCESS::restrict_irule_events disable
    }
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
        if { [HTTP::uri] starts_with "/myvpn?sess=" } {
            after 5000 { log local0. "VPN started for [ACCESS::session data get session.logon.last.username] from IP [IP::client_addr] assigned client IP [ACCESS::session data get session.assigned.clientip]"}
        }
    }

13 Replies

Will_33786
      Thank you kunjan. I saw this article. But it just applies to the version previous 10.2.2. And according to the article "IG-IP APM does not populate the session.assigned.clientip session variable until access policy processing is completed", I tried event ACCESS_POLICY_COMPLETED, it's supposed to works.
      Will_33786
      Thank you kunjan. I saw this article. But it just applies to the version previous 10.2.2. And according to the article "IG-IP APM does not populate the session.assigned.clientip session variable until access policy processing is completed", I tried event ACCESS_POLICY_COMPLETED, it's supposed to works.
  • I think the soln still applicable as there is no change to the process, PPP tunnel to be up for this which happens after ACCESS_POLICY_COMPLETED .

Will_33786
      John's answer have solved this question perfectly. Thanks nonetheless!
    kunjan

I think the soln still applicable as there is no change to the process, PPP tunnel to be up for this which happens after ACCESS_POLICY_COMPLETED .

Will_33786
      John's answer have solved this question perfectly. Thanks nonetheless!
    John_Alam_45640
    Historic F5 Account

The VPN address is assigned after the APM policy is completed. Use an iRule to detect the VPN startup URI and then wait a few seconds before querying session.assigned.clientip.

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {
    }
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
        if { [HTTP::uri] starts_with "/myvpn?sess=" } {
            after 5000 { log local0. "VPN started for [ACCESS::session data get session.logon.last.username] from IP [IP::client_addr] assigned client IP [ACCESS::session data get session.assigned.clientip]"}
        }
    }

Will_33786
      Hi John. Your solution works! It's exactly what I want. You just gave me a big help. Thank you!
      DevBabu
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

Has the URI changed in version 12.1.3.4. I am running 12.1.3.4 and couldn't catch that URI /myvpn?sess=.

When i did URI logging and saw URI /isession?sess= and I could get the session.assigned.clientip.

So, my rule looks like:

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {
      }
      when HTTP_REQUEST {
          if { [HTTP::uri] starts_with "/isession?sess=" } {
          }
      }