Forum Discussion

shoko_388305
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 11, 2019
Solved

How does BIG-IP distribute IP addresses to individual pods?

Hello. I consider to adopt BIG-IP to out project, but I have second thought because I don't know how does BIG-IP distribute IP addresses to pods. When I use BIG-IP for cluster mode on kubernetes, are IP Addresses which are provided by BIG-IP External IP Address, or Internal IP Address? How does BIG-IP know available IP Address range?

• Hello Shoko,

Currently, Big-IP does not allocate IP addresses to new pods in a Kubernetes cluster. You need some other system for external IP address assignment, such as MetalLB.

But once you've assigned your external addresses to your services, either manually or using you can load balance to them with your F5.

Best of luck,

Austin

4 Replies

• Hello Shoko,

Currently, Big-IP does not allocate IP addresses to new pods in a Kubernetes cluster. You need some other system for external IP address assignment, such as MetalLB.

But once you've assigned your external addresses to your services, either manually or using you can load balance to them with your F5.

Best of luck,

Austin

shoko_388305

Austin, thanks for your reply.

Then, if I want to do load balancing with kubernetes cluster mode, should I reserve some external IP address for pods? I'm thinking of using BIG-IP with Calico BGP, but is it impossible to use only internal address?

Shoko

shoko_388305

Your answer made what I have to consider next clear. Many thanks.