Forum Discussion

Wasfi_Bounni
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Sep 24, 2023
Solved

How long does it take for the automatic policy builder to build an AWAF or ASM policy? busy site

Hi;

How long "as an estimate" does it take for the automatic policy builder to build an AWAF or ASM policy? I mean to a point where it tightens entities and signatures. The site is public and busy and I want to use comprehensive/slow policy building.

Kindly

Wasfi

• There is not one fit all answer. Sometimes you can have a policy built in one day and sometimes you can wait for several months. In automatic mode, it heavily depends on how much traffic seen in a predefined period.

One important question to answer is how long does it take to see all the traffic patterns? and is there any traffic that is only seen on specific dates or events?

Beware that comprehensive mode is a pain even on busy sites, as a rule of thumb if you are not an ASM expert I would then recommend to start with a relaxed policy and as you get more traffic, you can tighten the policy up to an acceptable level.

3 Replies

• There is not one fit all answer. Sometimes you can have a policy built in one day and sometimes you can wait for several months. In automatic mode, it heavily depends on how much traffic seen in a predefined period.

One important question to answer is how long does it take to see all the traffic patterns? and is there any traffic that is only seen on specific dates or events?

Beware that comprehensive mode is a pain even on busy sites, as a rule of thumb if you are not an ASM expert I would then recommend to start with a relaxed policy and as you get more traffic, you can tighten the policy up to an acceptable level.

• Its depend on type of ASM policy choosen(i.e Rapid Deployment security policy or own defiend poicy, etc.) during policy building and Learning period selected. By default learning period is 7 days.

Thanks