Forum Discussion

Spidey_29396
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 28, 2014

How to deploy client authentication(require) using F5's self-signed certificate

Hi All,

Is there any deployment guide using client authentication require. whenever i try to change the Client Certificate option to require, it doesn't work but if change to auto,request and none, we have no issues.

Thanks! Ferdz

39 Replies

• use the solution : SOL14499

[root@asm03:Active:Standalone] exampleCA ls client1.crt client1.key client1.p12 client1.pem client1.req clientCA.crt clientCA.key clientCA.p12 clientCA.pem client2.crt

convert client key/cert pair to PKCS12 and send costumer the certificate: client1.p12

set in my ASM trusted certificate Autorities with the certificate : clientCA.crt

set in the profile ssl configuration :

wifi_host_test1 = client2.crt(self signed by my CA "clientCA-cert) <<<<<

Thank You

dragonflymr
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
      I assume that it started to work? I really missed "using F5's self-signed certificate" part of this post subject :-( I doubt it's possible to use self-signed cert as client cert - it breaks logic of certificate based authentication. Piotr
  • Not work :(

All certificates are signed by my CA.

client1.p12 signed by my CA (f5) and send costumer /install in desktop

clientCA.crt is my CA (F5)

client2.crt is my webserver cert

my TMOS version : 11.5.1 HF8

• It sad to hear that. I have no idea what could be wrong here. I followed referenced SOL and my lab system started to work without any issue. Will dig in my notes and try to post troubleshooting steps that can be used - but on Monday, right now here in Europe weekend begins - time to trow away work stuff and do some partying :-)

Piotr

• All certificates are signed by my CA.

client1.p12 signed by my CA (f5) and send costumer /install in desktop

clientCA.crt is my CA (F5)

how did you create client1 certificate (i.e. how did you sign client1 certificate)?

• Hello nitass

I followed the step : Creating and signing a client certificate in the solution :SOL14499

Thank you

• The problem is solved, I had a problem with the common name :)

My new error is :

Verify return code: 20 (unable to get local issuer certificate)

My web Server certificate is signed by verisign and my (authentication certificate ) is signed by my local CA

• Verify return code: 20 (unable to get local issuer certificate)

is Verisign root ca certificate in client's ca certificate store?

• Yes nittas the customer has a certificate installed , the cert verisign are default in the web browser

thank you

nitass
      Icon for Employee rankEmployee
      wasn't the unable to get local issuer certificate error from openssl command? was Verisign root ca certificate in openssl ca certificate store?
  • Yes nittas the customer has a certificate installed , the cert verisign are default in the web browser

thank you

nitass
      Icon for Employee rankEmployee
      wasn't the unable to get local issuer certificate error from openssl command? was Verisign root ca certificate in openssl ca certificate store?
  • hello

apologies for not respond

My problem is solved , I did not have the root of symantec jejej