Forum Discussion

Aurel
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Aug 30, 2013

HSL sending issue

Hi,

From the documentation, i do understand that HSL is quite simple syntax, and should work like this : eg : when HTTP_REQUEST {

set hsl [HSL::open -proto UDP -pool POOL_SYSLOG] set test [HTTP::method]

log local0. "$test" HSL::send $hsl $test }

but the only way to have it working, is for me to add a " log local0. "$test" " :

when HTTP_REQUEST {

set hsl [HSL::open -proto UDP -pool POOL_SYSLOG] set test [HTTP::method]

log local0. "$test" HSL::send $hsl $test }

But my Bigip is log both remotely and locally. I indeed want to save him resources, and not make him writing locally.

Thanks in advance for any opinion Aurel

18 Replies

• As we want the logging traffic to leave via the mgt interface.

are you talking about hsl?

if yes, i understand hsl has to go through tmm (selfip) interface.

Aurel
      Hi, yes i was talking about HSL. I didn't manage to have it leaving from the mngmt interface, and i have to say that i'm not seeing the interest of such a need, except that was requested by some older colleagues that had their "old" habits. HSL leaving the bigip with the tmm selfip interface is fine.
  • As we want the logging traffic to leave via the mgt interface.

are you talking about hsl?

if yes, i understand hsl has to go through tmm (selfip) interface.

Aurel
      Hi, yes i was talking about HSL. I didn't manage to have it leaving from the mngmt interface, and i have to say that i'm not seeing the interest of such a need, except that was requested by some older colleagues that had their "old" habits. HSL leaving the bigip with the tmm selfip interface is fine.
  • A few comments:

1. Just to confirm, high speed logging will only work with TMM interfaces. sol14459: The BIG-IP system sends high-speed logs through TMM interfaces only

2. The partition question was just to establish if the HSL object was being referenced correctly. The route questions are really related to the ability to route to the remote syslog server (can the BIG-IP reach it?).

3. How do you have this configured? Is it HSL:: commands in an iRule or GUI request or system logging? The objects being in different partitions and route domains shouldn't be causing an issue, but it's possible. Do you need to use a route domain given the new TMM interface requirement?