Forum Discussion

f5madhav_288961
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 22, 2016

Initial network configuration of Big IP

Hi,

We are beginners and setting up BigIP using the VCloud director VE trial version. I have currently setup the following and able to access the management console and will proceed with the internal and external VLAN configurations. If anything wrong please point out.

I went through this link https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/ve-setup-vmware-vcloud-11-3-0/2.html and saw that all the four NICs are to be configured whereas I have done only 2. I'm configuring the other two. Could someone let us know how if we need to configure the NIC's 1 to 3 through any specific method, I wasn't able to get anything from the documentations ? We tried to do it manually in the RHEL and BigIP overwrote it.

1 Reply

• By default, the OVF template creates 4 total nics, 1 mgmt and 3 for dataplane. In the F5 conifguration, the first shows up as the "mgmt" interface. The rest show up as 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.

In VMware, If you assign a network to nic 2 and nic 3, then they will work on the BIG-IP. If you don't assign anything, then the F5 configuration will just not be able to use 1.2 or 1.3 but that should be fine if you don't need them.

In short, I think it looks fine if you only need to use one dataplane interface.