Forum Discussion

NN
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jul 14, 2023
Solved

Migration from physical Device 5000 series to F5 VE

Hi All,

We intend to switch from the physical F5 LTM 5000 series to the F5 VE. The actual hardware is in HA. At the moment, we are using a production licence and the features listed below.

ASM, Unlimited
  Base, 5250V 
    Max Compression
    Application Acceleration Manager, Core
    VCMP Enabled
    SSL, Max TPS
    IPV6 Gateway
    Rate Shaping
    Ram Cache
    Anti-Virus Checks
    Base Endpoint Security Checks
    Firewall Checks
    Network Access
    Secure Virtual Keyboard
    APM, Web Application
    Machine Certificate Checks
    Protected Workspace, 
Remote Desktop, App Tunnel, SSL, 52X0V

Can someone guide me in selecting the right licence and F5 VE version number? How can we move our HA devices without affecting production, then?

• To be honest it is probably wisest to contact your local F5 sales or F5 partner as there are lots of factors to consider.

But if you dont want / cant some useful things to know is what the current throughput and load is. Also any expectations about grow in the future.

Are you planning two VEs? Where do you plan to deploy the VEs? Same physical environment but on a hypervisor? Which hypervisor? Version number isn't something you can select, just take the latest, it allows older versions to be installed also, it is for the last upgrade you can do. I would install the version you are currently using for an easier configuration migration.

For doing this without affecting production I would advise you to not have that as a goal. You might get close but makes things way easier on yourself if you just start perparing people for a couple of hours of expected downtime and are able to pull it off quicker and make everyone happy.

Something similar was asked here: https://community.f5.com/t5/technical-forum/virtual-f5-vs-hardware-which-one-is-best-for-application-with/m-p/318457/

Good stuff to read there.

1 Reply

• To be honest it is probably wisest to contact your local F5 sales or F5 partner as there are lots of factors to consider.

But if you dont want / cant some useful things to know is what the current throughput and load is. Also any expectations about grow in the future.

Are you planning two VEs? Where do you plan to deploy the VEs? Same physical environment but on a hypervisor? Which hypervisor? Version number isn't something you can select, just take the latest, it allows older versions to be installed also, it is for the last upgrade you can do. I would install the version you are currently using for an easier configuration migration.

For doing this without affecting production I would advise you to not have that as a goal. You might get close but makes things way easier on yourself if you just start perparing people for a couple of hours of expected downtime and are able to pull it off quicker and make everyone happy.

Something similar was asked here: https://community.f5.com/t5/technical-forum/virtual-f5-vs-hardware-which-one-is-best-for-application-with/m-p/318457/

Good stuff to read there.