Forum Discussion

mlwebster
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Aug 09, 2023

Monitoring GTM / DNS Pools for consistency across multiple LTMs

Hi community.

I have been trying to work out the best way to check my Wide-IP configuration is consistent across multiple LTMs.

I have a WIP, that contains a pool, that contains 2 LTM VIPs in 2 DCs - how can I be sure that services in the LTM VIPs are consistent? 

For example, LTM-1 in DC-1 has a VIP containing a pool of 2 servers listening on https.  

LTM-2 in DC-2 has the same pool of 2 servers listening on https – all good so far.  

Engineer adds new server to DC-1 LTM-1 pool but doesn’t add the same server to DC-2 LTM-2.  

I now have inconsistent  services across the 2 DCs.

Has anyone scripted anything to check each WIP/pool for LTM VIPs then checked each of the configured LTM VIPs for pools/services and report on differences? 

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

• mlwebster I am not aware of a way to force the GTM to check consistency amongs VSs on the LTMs. This might have to be one of those situations where you have a runbook that specifies when messing with X make sure you do the exact same change on Y. If you had a BIG-IQ it would make it slightly easier to validate but still would be manual. You might consider automation to add in new pool members to both destination LTMs in question.

mlwebster
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

Paulius thanks for the feedback.   I do have a BIG-IQ but take your point that it is still a manual process.

I'm happier with new VSs on LTM as they are largely automated, its more tweaks and changes to existing VSs where my concern comes from - we all forget to check things every now and again.

• mlwebster  - If your post was solved it would be helpful to the community to select *Accept As Solution*.
    Thanks for being part of our community.

• Working on a script to check GTM/LTM & spit out any differences

I'll report progress over coming days