Forum Discussion

Hamish
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Sep 22, 2008

Multi-Interface VLAN

Hi all.

I want to have 2 interfaces into a single VLAn for redundency. Normally I'd use trunking and configure the switch as etherchannel using LACP. However in this instance I have to connect to two separate switches...

If I simply configure the VLAN at the F5 as using two interfaces, what sort of load-sharing/high availability/bridging will the F5 actually perform? (I have spanning tree disabled as well). In one/out the other? Ignore the second? (Sorry the docs don't seem to go into this level of detail).

I've run this in the past to a single switch from ECC's running v4.x and it seemed to work OK, but not v9.3.1...

TIA

Hamish.

12 Replies

• Hamish,

A pair (or more) of Cisco Catalyst 3750 series of switches can be stacked together using the included stacking cables.

Once stacked, they appear to the rest of the world as one physical switch and Cisco supports what they call "Cross-Stack LACP EtherChannel" documented here: www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00806cb982.shtml

---Richard
    Hamish
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
    Yeah. This is not new infrastructure though. It's existing 65xx's.

I'm pretty much resigned to using STP pass-through. Tetsing with a 6509 and another small switch (Umm... 35something I think from memory, sorry, not next to it right now) seems to work OK.

H