Forum Discussion

Nov 23, 2014
Solved

One node is down in standby unit

I deeply confused. I have active standby pair of F5. there are about 40 pools and 20 nodes. All the nodes are up in active and all the node are up in passive accept one. I don't understand why this one is down. All the nodes are VM,s in exa-logic. If all the vm,s are accessible from standby unit then why one VM is not accessible?

• I am getting a ping response from the node after 90 failures.

what does "after 90 failures" mean?

If I am not getting ping response then I can not get TCP half open (monitor) response as well.

if bigip does not get response, can you check if server does send response?

19 Replies

• you may try to troubleshoot health monitor. Troubleshooting Ltm Monitors https://devcentral.f5.com/s/articles/ltm-external-monitors-troubleshooting
  • getting these logs, it coming up and down. but its continuously up in active F5 Nov 23 16:50:38 www notice mcpd[6575]: 01070728:5: Node /Common/swbs04 address 10.50.169.29 monitor status up. [ /Common/ICMP: up ] [ was down for 0hr:1min:20sec ] Nov 23 16:50:58 www notice mcpd[6575]: 01070640:5: Node /Common/swbs04 address 1 0.50.169.29 monitor status down. [ /Common/ICMP: down ] [ was up for 0hr:0min:20sec ] Nov 23 16:52:57 www notice mcpd[6575]: 01070728:5: Node /Common/swbs04 address 10.50.169.29 monitor status up. [ /Common/ICMP: up ] [ was down for 0hr:1min:59sec ] Nov 23 16:53:18 www notice mcpd[6575]: 01070640:5: Node /Common/swbs04 address 10.50.169.29 monitor status down. [ /Common/ICMP: down ] [ was up for 0hr:0min:2
  • Nitass your link was very informative but I am getting a ping response from the node after 90 failures. If I am not getting ping response then I can not get TCP half open (monitor) response as well. but no such problem on active F5. All the VM,s are in same vlan and all other vm,s are reachable from from both F5 except this one from standby unit

If I am not getting ping response then I can not get TCP half open (monitor) response as well.

Muhammad_Irfan1
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      90 failures means after drop 90 pings one ping succeeded in getting response. The mac entry learned for that node by standby unit is different then mac entry of active the rest nodes mac are same. When I looked for that mac address in switch it was pointing towards active F5 unit, What is this. I tried to clear dynamic entries but of no good. That entry is still there pointing towards active F5 for that node. Which means standby unit is searching for that node through switch to active unit. ahhh
      Muhammad_Irfan1
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      yesssss. is this the problem? here is my network diagram http://imgur.com/gallery/ItMTFum/new

• 90 failures means after drop 90 pings one ping succeeded in getting response. The mac entry learned for that node by standby unit is different then mac entry of active the rest nodes mac are same. When I looked for that mac address in switch it was pointing towards active F5 unit, What is this. I tried to clear dynamic entries but of no good. That entry is still there pointing towards active F5 for that node. Which means standby unit is searching for that node through switch to active unit. ahhh
    • yesssss. is this the problem? here is my network diagram http://imgur.com/gallery/ItMTFum/new