Forum Discussion

Cindy_127211
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 21, 2005

Perl and SNMP Queries

Hello, in BigIP 4.5 we used Perl with the net::snmp module to do queries of UCD-Davis MIB Variables. The variables that we were querying were those that are set from entries in the syslog.conf file; such as 'proc', 'load' and 'disk'. I have configured the same type of information in the syslog-ng.conf file in 9.0.5 and have verified by doing a snmpwalk of the ucd-davis mib that values are being set. I've also verified that the perl script is executing and connecting to the V9.0.5 server. However, for some reason no data is being returned.

The OIDs being queried are:

@oidlist = ('1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4',

'1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2.1',

'1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.1',

'1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1');

A perl script with a 'SNMPtablerequest" command works successfully for both 4.5 and 9.0. However, a perl script with the 'get_next_request' only works on 4.5...not 9.0.

Has anyone used a perl script going to a BigIP 9.X server with the get_next_request function successfully? If so, would you mind posting a 'snippet' of your code with this in it?

5 Replies

Loc_Pham_101863
    Historic F5 Account
    This seems to be a SNMP specific question, while this forum is reserved for iControl-related issues. Please bring your question to the attention of F5 Technical Support.

Regards,

Loc
  • I realize it is a SNMP question. However, my biggest problem is that F5 does not support any other monitoring tool than using SNMP and configuring the syslog-ng to do SNMP querying. I had this all working in 4.5; however, now the OS and BigIP have changed and I can't get things to work. I am doing all of the standard SNMP stuff...so, I'm at a loss on where to turn.

I was 'hoping' that might be a slim change that someone in this forum had alredy conquered this problem and would be willing to provide some assistance.

I'll go ahead and post with F5 Technical support...but, don't think I'll get very far there.
    bknotwell_12713
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Cindy--

I'm pretty sure we've never delivered the perl snmp support with BIGIP 4.x or, for that matter, 9.x.

That being said, I did use snmpwalk to query your OIDs successfully on both a 4.x and 9.x system. While there were some minor differences, the output's essentially similar.

--Brad
    Loc_Pham_101863
    Historic F5 Account
    I pinged one of our SNMP experts, and here's the response:

Which SNMP Perl library? UCD or Net-SNMP package? UCD and Net-SNMP are the same code base but Net-SNMP has a lot of internal structure changes, really a lot. With the changes, some bugs are introduced along the way. The two packages have a lot of difference though some main functions are the same. So, the Perl code in UCD and Net-SNMP may be different, maybe have some new bugs.

For Bigip server part, 4.5 and 9.0.5 there should have no difference on this part.

Bigip 4.x, we use ucd package and 9.x, we use net-snmp package.

• Thank you for your support with this. This helps explain why I am seeing differences, since I am querying the UCD Mib.