Forum Discussion

Jason_Wilson_13
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 06, 2013

Problems with using Kerberos Authentication

Hi Everyone,

Trying to get Kerberos Authentication to work through a APM policy.

I am not trying to get SSO to work (well, not yet anyway) - just trying to get Kerberos authentication from a domain attached Windows 7 client. Have followed the documents and created a service account with appropriate settings and imported a keytab file.

There is a 'HTTP 401 Response' and a 'Kerberos Auth' step in my pipeline, but it just falls straight through to 'fallback' and denies access.

In the APM logs I see:

Nov  7 09:48:55 auhof51 debug apd[6907]: 01490000:7: modules/Authentication/Kerberos/KerberosAuthModule.cpp func: "display_status_1()" line: 84 Msg: 850bee9c : GSS-API error gss_acquire_cred: d0000 : Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
Nov  7 09:48:55 auhof51 debug apd[6907]: 01490000:7: modules/Authentication/Kerberos/KerberosAuthModule.cpp func: "display_status_1()" line: 84 Msg: 850bee9c : GSS-API error gss_acquire_cred: 186a4 : 

Is there any way to work out what the GSS-API error number 186a4 might mean?

Thanks, Jason

8 Replies

Mick_61384
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Jason what version of BIG-IP are you using? cheers Michael
  • Jason, I don't think you're going to find what that error number means, so here are some tips and observations from the field on setting up APM client side Kerberos authentication.

1. First and foremost, in my opinion the absolute BEST way to troubleshoot a Kerberos problem is with WireShark. It has the filters built right in to show you exactly what the Kerberos payloads look like. You'll just need to plant it somewhere in the line of fire, preferably in this case the client or the KDC.

2. You can enable debug logging for client side Kerberos with a TMSH command:

tmsh modify sys db log.rba.level value debug

But make sure you turn this off when you're done.

tmsh modify sys db log.rba.level value notice

This log data will show up in /var/log/apm

3. On any Windows machine, the default security posture for IE is to only pass Kerberos credentials to a site in its Local Intranet sites list

Tools - Internet Options - Security tab - Local Intranet - Sites button - Advanced

You'll want to add this site URL to that list. To do the same thing in Firefox (on a domain-joined Windows machine), type about:config in the address bar and look for:

network.negotiate-auth.trusted-uris

4. Time is critical to Kerberos. You usually have a little bit of fudge room, but it's always best for all parties to be in step. That means the client, KDC, and BIG-IP should all be synchronized.

5. Kerberos also relies very heavily on DNS. Make sure the hostname/SPN of the APM VIP has both an A and PTR record in AD DNS. You cannot use IP addresses with Kerberos.

6. Admittedly some of the documentation out there for setting this stuff up is, at times, vague. Assuming you're using a Windows 2003 or 2008 AD, you'll want to create your keytab file with this syntax:

ktpass /princ HTTP/vip.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM /mapuser example\krbsvc /ptype KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL /pass password /out c:\file.keytab

The most important parts being the SPN format - try to use an uppercase SPN service (HTTP/), lowercase server name (vip.example.com), and uppercase realm (@EXAMPLE.COM). You'll also want to use the KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL ptype. Some of the other ptypes will work, but this is more semantically correct. And finally, though this isn't a hard and fast rule, I've had difficulties in the past when the username was not lowercase.

7. After this command runs, you'll notice in the AD service account's properties that a) the account's User Logon Name is set to the SPN value, and B) a servicePrincipalName attribute has also been created for the account (with this same SPN value). Make sure that is true in your case.

8. Unless you need it for something else, try removing the DNS settings from the BIG-IP and test. I know that may sound odd, but I've seen that cause a problem too. You may also want to fire up WireShark and look for any anomalous DNS traffic.

9. Between tests you'll want to clear any residual Kerberos caches. For APM:

bigstart restart rba

For Windows (the client):

klist purge     

10. This one is a long shot, but it's also possible that password changes and other account activities can update the KVNO number and put it out of sync with the keytab. To verify, from the KDC:

ldifde -f c:\spn_out.txt -d "DC=example.com,DC=com" -l *,msDS-KeyVersionNumber -r "(serviceprincipalname=HTTP/vip*)" -p subtree

Look for the "msDS-KeyVersionNumber" string in the output file

Then from the BIG-IP:

klist -ekt 

If the KVNO numbers don't match, you'll want to completely delete and recreate the AD service account and re-export a keytab.

11. If all else fails, please respond back with the Kerberos error information you see in the WireShark capture.

• Hi

This is a very interesting Post... I'm having the same issue, so I checked all the steps that Kevin says but my BigIP is steel reporting the same errors:

Apr 16 20:11:09 bigrode2 debug apd[9383]: 01490000:7: modules/Authentication/Kerberos/KerberosAuthModule.cpp func: "display_status_1()" line: 84 Msg: a1f91c6a : GSS-API error gss_acquire_cred: d0000 : Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information

Apr 16 20:11:09 bigrode2 debug apd[9383]: 01490000:7: modules/Authentication/Kerberos/KerberosAuthModule.cpp func: "display_status_1()" line: 84 Msg: a1f91c6a : GSS-API error gss_acquire_cred: 186a4 :

My problem is that item 'Kerberos Auth' does not open any connection to the KDC... I don't see any traffic to it with tcpdump -ni 0.0 host my_kdc

At the document for Kerberos Authentication (http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_apm/manuals/product/apm-aaa-auth-config-11-4-0.pdf?sr=36691337) there is no refence to /etc/krb5.conf, by the way the LTM/APM is running at 11.4.1 HF3. But I wrote the KDC and the Admin_Server in the krb5.conf, it was necesary for the kinit test...

• DNS register A and PTR is done and also added at /etc/hosts via tmsh.
    • Keytab file, the KVNO is the same in the KDC and y the filestore.
    • Keytab file, tested in apache, bypassing APM, just only doing LTM, so the keytab file seem to be right.
    • Kinit with a Domain User works fine. When I do this test I see traffic to the KDC with wireshark, so there is comunication between BigIp and KDC...

Any idea?

Thanks in advanced...

• Take a look on the first post. I was able to get kerberos working within the same domain

https://devcentral.f5.com/questions/kerberos-authenication-cross-multiple-domains

I'm running 15.0

• A few key points of observation:

1. You don't need SSO Credential Mapping with Kerberos SSO.

2. Cross-domain/cross-forest Kerberos SSO requires that:

• Both domains/forests must have a full two-way transitive trust for Constrained Delegation to work.
      • The APM Kerberos SSO AD service account MUST be in the same domain as the web server. Users can be anywhere.
      • The F5 must be able to resolve and communicate with both domains/forest KDCs. For multi-domain, it's usually easiest to point DNS at the global catalog server.
  • Is working!!!

Thanks to everybody for the information... and very special thanks to Kevin!

1. I'm working with just one domain, this is not a issue betweens domains, this is a simple Kerberos Delegation Configuration.

2. I asked to my AD administrator for a new Keytab as the document Says: http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_apm/manuals/product/apm-aaa-auth-config-11-4-0.pdf?sr=36691337 (Chapter 3 -- Task Summary -- Joinin a domain).

3. I found at DevCentral other Kevin's Post where he explains how to field the gaps of AAA Kerberos...

• my Principal from Keytab:HTTP/sos-epd.int.es@DOMINIO.INT.ES
      • my AAA Kerberos Fields:
    • Auth Real: sos-epd.int.es
    • Service Name: HTTP
    1. it works!!!!