Forum Discussion

Patti_G_72768
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 08, 2013

regex to iRule conversion - 2

Hi again, I have another rule I would like to get some feedback on please. Here is an abbreviation of the rule:

Request Indicates a Security Scanner Scanned the Site
  AUTOMATION/SECURITY_SCANNER
  %(_DENY)

Here is what I wrote as the iRule that would try to do the same thing:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
  if { ([class match [string tolower [HTTP::header User-Agent]] contains _my_rule_dg])} {
    log local0. "Security Scanner scanned the site."
    HTTP::respond 404 content "If you have reached this page in error, please try again."
    event disable
  }
}    

I created the data group _my_rule_dg and entered the security scanners we want to search for. Will the iRule above satisfy what the regex rule is doing? If not, where am I going wrong? Thanks!

5 Replies

• I may be missing some context somewhere, but are you expecting the client to send a specific User-Agent header that indicates some form of scanning process?

• regex flags="sdeo" regex="(?:\b(?:m(?:ozilla\/4.0 (compatible)|etis)|webtrends security analyzer|pmafind)\b|n(?:-stealth|sauditor|essus|ikto)|b(?:lack ?widow|rutus|ilbo)|(?:jaascoi|paro)s|webinspect|.nasl)" select="REQUEST_HEADERS:User-Agent" transform="lowercase"

404 "Request Indicates a Security Scanner Scanned the Site"

• Hi, sorry it looks like I wasn't able to post some of the necessary info. I just posted the abbreviated rule.

Thanks!

• I'm sure it'll need some tweaking, but it looks about right. I'm assuming your data group looks something like this:

nessus
    n-stealth
    metis
    pmafind
    nsauditor
    nikto
    black widow
    brutus
    bilbo
    jaascois
    paros
    webinspect
    .nasl

• Hi Kevin, yes my data group has those items listed.

thanks for your help!!!!