Forum Discussion

Jan 12, 2015

Remode Desktop not Load Balancing Round Robin

I have F5 - LTM with below h/w CPU Status Index Temp(degC) Fan Speed(rpm) 1 33 15913

Platform Name C112 BIOS Revision OBJ-0433-xx Build: 1.12.137.0 10/30/2012 Base MAC 00:23:e9:70:d2:c0

-- in partition called = scms_prod created one Virtual Server = Type Standard for VIP on port 3389 as per the document from F5 http://www.f5.com/pdf/deployment-guides/f5-microsoft-remote-desktop-services-dg.pdf and having two Nodes with SNAT and Persistance Profile is rdp and NO-iRule Method- Round Robin. But connection on Pool are not load balancing . what could be the problem and how to troubleshoot.

34 Replies

• Hi Stephan,   
    any luck to get hold on this issue.   
    when I see output of command - show /ltm persistence persist-records mode msrdp all-properties
    sometime I see Client Address and sometimes I don't see ?

Sys::Persistent Connections
    msrdp - VIP%2:3389 - NODE-1%2:3389
    ---------------------------------------------------
      TMM           0
      Mode          msrdp
      Value         PSMConnec
      Age (sec.)    21
      Virtual Name  /prod/PIM-PSM-MGT_3389_vs
      Virtual Addr  VIP%2:3389
      Node Addr     Node-1%2:3389
      Pool Name     /prod/PIM-PSM-MGT_3389_pool
      Client Addr   ::
      Owner entry

so at above Client Addr :: some time I see IP addresses and sometime not,or you can see for few connection I see entry blank but for few, IP address mentioned. Surprise

Neeraj Jagetia 

StephanManthey
      Icon for MVP rankMVP
      Hi Neeraj, no follow-up with my client yet. So sorry, nothing new to contribute. Regarding your persistence table dump: The persistence table key ("Value") ist "PSMConnec". This is the key to look after when a new MS-RDP connection comes in. Is "PSMConnec" something user specific? If multiple clients will use the same key, they will all be forwarded to Node-1%2 (based on the provided persistence table entry. As you wrote in your previous reply, you modified the .rdp file to force the UserName to be send in the MSTSHASH cookie. Do you see in TCPDUMP a prefix of "PSMConnec" for the username? The F5 obviously only keeps the first 8 characters to persist on. Thanks, Stephan
  • Do you think if I should select - Default Persistence Profile -> NONE (instead rdp persistence profile)

StephanManthey
      Icon for MVP rankMVP
      Hi Neeraj, I´m wondering, if the Microsoft Session Broker has it´s own load balancing and persistence mode implemented. I really have no clue and noaccess to a test environment available to run some own tests, sorry. Thanks, Stephan
      Neeraj_Jags_152
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      I have removed the MS-RDP persistence Profile from Virtual Server. and now load balancing working as expected. I am surprised, then what is use of MS-RDP profile ? F5 should respond.