Forum Discussion

Stephan_87795
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 23, 2008

sender address in eMails sent by postfix

Hello all,

I am trying to use postfix-settings (/etc/postfix/) for sending mails from the bigIP directly to my account.

By default the sender address is like "root@mydomain.tld", so it always takes "root" as the user account. Unfortunately, I can't use "root" within our SMTP-environment, therefore it would be quite valuable for me being able to change the sender's user account to something like "LTM1@mydomain.tld".

Does anyone know where to change this exactly? I was trying to do this in /etc/postfix/aliases, but did not get to a satisfying result so far...:-(

Thanks for any good ideas.

Cheers,

Stephan

19 Replies

Hamish
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
    Well... You could use a regex rule on the body to kickoff a different canonical mapping.

H
  • Hello

People.

which step by step for me to configure the BigIP to send email on failure of the pool, ask the site I'm not getting set.
  • Hi Luciano,

Here's a good article to start with:

sol3667: Configuring alerts to send email notifications

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/3000/600/sol3667.html

Aaron
  • Hi Hoolio

From sol3667 .. If i changed fromaddress="root" into fromaddress="gtm01"

when email sent >> Does sender will change into From: gtm01@hostname.com ?

Thank you
  • Hi Hoolio

From sol3667 .. If i changed fromaddress="root" into fromaddress="gtm01"

when email sent >> Does sender will change into From: gtm01@hostname.com ?

Thank you
  • Yes, I believe that should work. If not, can you just put the full from address you'd like used?

Aaron

• I just want to say thank you (especially Stephan and Jason) for this very old topic. It helped me a lot to get email alerting on custom user alerts working again. Settings got lost during software update and were not documented :(

Ciao Stefan :)

• Hi,

I'm with the same problem, see configurations applied below:

[ltm01:Active] ~ newaliases [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic" >> /etc/postfix/main.cf [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "root@localhost myname@mydomain.com" > /etc/postfix/generic [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "root@myname@mydomain.com myname@mydomain.com" > /etc/postfix/generic [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic" >> /etc/postfix/main.cf [ltm01:Active] ~ postmap /etc/postfix/generic [ltm01:Active] ~ bigstart restart postfix

Am i missing something?

Regards

lilli_144452
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      [ltm01:Active] ~ newaliases [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic" >> /etc/postfix/main.cf [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "root@localhost myname@mydomain.com" > /etc/postfix/generic [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "root@myname@mydomain.com myname@mydomain.com" > /etc/postfix/generic [ltm01:Active] ~ echo "sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic" >> /etc/postfix/main.cf [ltm01:Active] ~ postmap /etc/postfix/generic [ltm01:Active] ~ bigstart restart postfix