Forum Discussion

Piotr_Lewandows
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Mar 01, 2016
Solved

Separate Key and Certificate vs RSA Certificate & Key

Hi,

I wonder what is difference between separately importing Certificate and Key vs importing Key and then after clicking on key importing certificate? Is there any usage of second option?

In first case I have to separate entries in the list:

• RSA Key
  • RSA Certificate

When clicking on Certificate, then Key tab there is info No Key. When clicking on Key on Certificate tab there is info No Certificate.

In second case I have just one entry:

• RSA Certificate & Key

When clicking on such entry there is info about certificate in Certificate tab as well as info about key in Key tab.

However in most places where certificate can be configured there are separate fields for key and certificate.

So I am bit confused why and when RSA Certificate & Key entry can be used?

Piotr

• There's no big difference, only the number of configuration objects varies. If you do the second option, the certificate you import will be automatically named the same as your key object. Since name overlaps, a merged object will be created. I prefer to keep a matching certificate and private key in one configuration object (RSA Certificate & Key).

You can achieve the same merged object solution if you import certificate and key separately, but with the exact same object name. If there's any difference in naming, you will end up with two objects instead.

8 Replies

• There's no big difference, only the number of configuration objects varies. If you do the second option, the certificate you import will be automatically named the same as your key object. Since name overlaps, a merged object will be created. I prefer to keep a matching certificate and private key in one configuration object (RSA Certificate & Key).

You can achieve the same merged object solution if you import certificate and key separately, but with the exact same object name. If there's any difference in naming, you will end up with two objects instead.

dragonflymr
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
      Hi, Thanks for info. So if I have just one RSA Certificate & Key object should I choose it for both Key and Certificate fields when for example setting clientssl profile - so same file chosen for Certificate and Key? Piotr

dragonflymr
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
      Hi, Thanks for info. So if I have just one RSA Certificate & Key object should I choose it for both Key and Certificate fields when for example setting clientssl profile - so same file chosen for Certificate and Key? Piotr