Forum Discussion

heskez_36146
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 19, 2013

Session gone after opening a new tab within Internet explorer / Google Chrome

Hi,

We currently have issues with a web application when a user clicks on something which opens a new browser tab. The session is gone and eventually times out. Is this a common issue which occurs often?

The web application is https and setup is quite simple with SSL offloading and Irule with redirection.

What steps can we take to make a deep-dive analysis and troubleshoot?

The only info we've this far is a "FYN" in a TCP Dump session from the clients public ip address. When the browser times out..

21 Replies

What_Lies_Bene1
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
      Sorry, looks like you did say after a reread. So, any answers to Kevin's questions?
  • The whole session id and cookie persistence isn't applicable anymore because it is a result of the 302 error we get as response of the F5. Now the F5 does this for any object that isn't present on the website. Therefore we try to adjust the application to include the object in the section which is opened by a new tab. For the rest of the objects we try to figure out why the F5 does a redirect when the object isn't there. We allready set the rewrite option to NONE on the http profile. But there is probably something else we're overlooking.

• OK We've discovered the problem icon was the favicon.ico. We included the html tag in the help pages and the problem was solved. For other redirection problems we've disabled an irule on the VS which was custom made by a security company and also those problems didn't occur anymore.

Now other problems that are left over are user experiences with an IE11 browser. We've tested with IE7/8/9/10 Firefox and Chrome and went smoothly.

• Cool. Where IE11 is concerned you could always use an iRule to force use of IE9 or 10 rendering.

• Thanks WLB! It looks a lot better now but a new problem has occured which i explain in a new topic. I'll look after the IE11 Irule cheers.

• You're welcome. If you can't find that iRule, let me know and I'll have a look. Cheers