Forum Discussion

Jul 21, 2023
Solved

steps to configuring mx record by using wide IP

dear,  I try to search on how we can configure mx record using wilde ip, is there any article describe the steps , how we can configure this 
  • Hello Amr_Ali , 

It's applicable in Bigip DNS , Follow these Steps : 

Assume you have only two records or 2 ips for mail server.

Follow these steps : 

1. Create 2 pools type A record Asume these names ( First_Pool & Second_Pool )  , each pool has one pool member / virtual server ( one of the above ips  in each pool ) 
    2. Create 2 Wide ips type A record  Assume these FQDNs (  first.mail.com & second.mail.com ).
    3. attach the above ( First_Pool to first.mail.com wide ip & Second_Pool to second.mail.com wide ip ) 
    4. Create a new POOL assume this name  ( Mail_pool ) , Type MX record , and attach these Wide IPs
      ( first.mail.com & second.mail.com ) on this newly POOL and give theme the required preference.
    5. Create New Wide IP , Type MX record , Assume this name ( mail.com) 
      And attach to this Wide ip this pool ( Mail_pool )
      Switch From ( Basic to Advanced ) Configuration then you will see this feature Minimal Response >> select disabled to see all information about this MX record during testing >>>> Then Click Finish or update if you edit something. 
    6. Test your configs using dig utility 
      dig @Bigip_Listner_IP mail.com mx 

you will see the selected MX recored and resolved final A record in the additional section. 

I tested it and it worked , so it's your turn and let me know the updates 🙂