Forum Discussion

John_Bartoldus_
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 14, 2015
Solved

Strip route domain from ip::remote_addr

Hello.

Trying to create an irule and when using ip::remote_addr, it is adding the %rd to the IP address. I am fairly new to irules, but wondering if that route domain designation can be stripped from the value before putting it into the http header.

6 Replies

John_Bartoldus_
      This worked nicely. Thanks. Just curious, why Local Traffic Policies instead of iRule? Both in my initial training and F5 professional services recommended iRules instead of Local Traffic Policies. But, that could have been for personal reasons. I am curious to hear pros and cons of each.
      John_Bartoldus_
      This worked nicely. Thanks. Just curious, why Local Traffic Policies instead of iRule? Both in my initial training and F5 professional services recommended iRules instead of Local Traffic Policies. But, that could have been for personal reasons. I am curious to hear pros and cons of each.
  • Local Traffic Policies are part of the standard configuration, and as a consequence, are generally easier to operationalize, replicate and are better supported by F5. Moreover, built-in functions are usually faster than iRules because they are less generic. Having said that, of course, there are some functions that cannot be performed with Local Traffic Policies, and in those cases, iRules are the way to go.