Forum Discussion

jerm1020_254086
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 16, 2016

TCP-mobile-optimization profile

I am inquiring on what metrics I should use to quantify the benefit of using the tcp-mobile-profile over the base tcp profiles. I would think it would be more data but less packets sent as well as some kind of latency improvement. does anyone have thoughts on this subject or can point me where these quantifiable metrics may be found? thank you all for your assistance as usual

2 Replies

• I think lower latency & increased throughput would have to be measured. I am not sure about the tools to utilize though.

• Yes, there is someone who has shared some thoughts about this topic: https://devcentral.f5.com/articles/stop-using-the-base-tcp-profile

If you want to measure the improvment, I'd suggest capturing the same transaction (should be a quite large one) twice, one with base profile and one with mobile-optimized profile and run those captures through wireshark (or some other analyzer), which can do some statistics and throughput calculations.

Furthermore, TMOS 12.1 contains an improvement to the AVR module that allows you to do analytics on TCP. I haven't tried that out myself yet, though...

HTH Martin