Forum Discussion

js55161_47239
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 29, 2008

Terminal Server Disconnections

I have 2 pools containing 2 terminal servers 2003. these have 2 different VIPs. We are experiencing application and total disconnections at different random times. Users could be working fine for 2 hours or just 5 minutes and suddenly they will loose network drive connections, telnet connections and in the worst case total disconnections. These users are connecting via remote desktop connection via a specific port instead of the default one.

Does any one know what the best practise for configuring remote desktop connections to terminal server is or have any ideas of what the issue is?

I am using 6400 with 9.4.3.

7 Replies

• What indications are you recieving that the LTM is influencing or causing this?

CB

• We have moved one of the Terminal servers to a non load balanced dmz and it is working fine. The only difference it that traffic is not going through the big-ip but is going through the same firewalls. Also the problems never happened when we had the old 540's on 4.5 big-ips.
  • Do you have the default tcp/fastL4 profile applied? For terminal server, especially with keepalives disabled, you should bump that timeout out quite a bit. Our customers don't like to ever lose their session during their business day, so the timeout on our terminal server farm fastL4 profile is 8 hours.
  • No i didn't. I had the standard TCP profile applied as well as a MSRDP persistence profile with session directory disabled and the timeout set to indefinate.

Do you think chnaging this to FastL4 would help, if so i will need to disable the persistence profile as it is dependent on a tcp profile?
  • Standard tcp profile has an idle-timeout of 5 minutes, so without keepalives 5 minutes of idle time will kill the session. Regarding persistence, we set the timeout also to 8 hours, so any user will not lose access to their resources until well after their business day is over.
  • ....so you don't need to alter FastL4 if it is not applied, but you might consider altering the timeout on your tcp and persistence profiles
  • Both my tcp profile and persistence timeout were set to an hour. I have chnaged it to fastl4 and i does seem to be alot quick with loggin gin etc so i am trying to be hopeful that this sorts out the disconnections as well. Will let you know. Thanks for your help.