Forum Discussion

Mike_Graston_10
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 21, 2007

Turning VS off when nodes down

All,

I am having an issue with Virtual servers staying up even when there are no no nodes on the back end up and running. I need to make the VIP address not availible when this event occurs. I currently use an Irule like this but this takes effect after the request is accepted. Is there anyway to turn down the VIP address so even a ping gets a bad respone or timeout?

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {

if { [active_members pool1] == 0 } {

discard

}

}

19 Replies

• Take a look at Local Traffic ›› Virtual Servers : Virtual Address List >> the VS address in question

You'll see an ICMP Echo option there; it's operation is dependent on what other VSs share the IP and your needs. As Hoolio notes, this can't be adjusted from within an iRule.
    Dean_Morris_151
    Historic F5 Account

Ref for above comment:

https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/ltm-implementations-11-5-1/48.print.html

• Thanks, I did based on above doc says, choose the selective icmp response for the virtual server. But it doesn't work. It still response the ICMP regardless of the status of the virtual server and nodes. all servers down in this case, but VS still response to icmp and http

StephanManthey
      Icon for MVP rankMVP
      What software version are you on? I´m sure it works fine for v11.5.1 for virtual servers in standard mode. Please keep in mind, that there is a separate "switch" for SNATs as well. There is no overlap for virtual IPs and self / floating self IPs / NATs?
  • Hi Stephan:

My software ver is 10.6 in standard mode. not sure what separate switch for snat is, but I did use automap for the VS. Also I turn it off later on. Any idea? in VS setup, I choose Notify Status to Virtual Address. In Pool setup, I choose Action On Service Down. And configure the rest based on the document. Please help, I really need the selective ICMP respond. In virtual address list setup, I set all virtual server are available with enabling advertise the Route Advertisement. And the virtual server I am working on has no real servers up and running, but atfer all these have been done, I am still able to ping the VS and even telnet on port 80..... This is not what I want, please advise. Thanks

• Hi Felix,

in case you are using SNAT automap there is no need to disable ARP (and it is not even possible for egress floating self IP (which will be used here), afaik).

I remember having problems with the "selective" ICMP response settings after migrating to v11.5.1HF5 and picked just "enabled" (had the VIP in ARP and ICMP and generally disabled state before).

I just tested on v11.6.0 (no hotfix) and it seemed to work as expected:
     tmsh modify ltm virtual-address 10.131.131.239 icmp-echo enabled
     tmsh modify ltm virtual-address 10.131.131.239 icmp-echo disabled
     tmsh modify ltm virtual-address 10.131.131.239 icmp-echo selective

Depending on chosen setting the ping to the virtual address worked / worked not. In case all pool members down in selective mode it stopped responding.

Is there an iRule associated with the virtual server referencing another pool? Can you please provide the configuration of your virtual server:
     tmsh list ltm virtual <virtual_server_name>
     tmsh list ltm virtual-address <virtual_ip_address>

Thanks, Stephan

• Stephan, I'm so sorry to get you back due to the busy days recently. I'll set it up and let you know!

StephanManthey
      Icon for MVP rankMVP
      Hi Felix, just open the submenu in the virtual server configuration (tab located next to virtual server list), please: Local Traffic ›› Virtual Servers : Virtual Address List Cheers, Stephan