Forum Discussion

Tofana_237744
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 30, 2017

UCS Platform Migration

Hi all,

I'm looking for some assistance with moving the configuration from an old BIGIP to a new platform. Both boxes are running different code versions at the moment (old box is running 11.5.4, the new box is on 12.1.2), and are two different platforms.

I haven't had much success with the platform-migrate option (the new BIGIP has a different hostname, and management address), and it throws up an error when loading it (and locks me out of the config utility at the same time!).

I'm guessing that I can create an SCF on the old box, modify it, and load it onto the new box? However, i do have a concern that the SCF contains platform specific information and the software versions won't match. Would i need to merge the SCF from the old box, with an SCF on the new box?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

7 Replies

• Hi,

You can use below command to perform no-platform-check

tmsh load sys ucs [ucs file name] no-platform-check

https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/16000/200/sol16216.html

You can also load UCS file with no -license

tmsh load sys ucs [ucs file name] no-license

My suggestion is:

1. Upgrade your old device to 12.1.2
    2. Then Export UCS file
    3. Import on new device (Configure with same name and management IP as old device)
    4. Once UCS file is loaded, you can change hostname and management IP to according to your requirement.

Hope this helps.

Tofana_237744

Hi RaghavendraSY,

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.

I'll give this a try, although I think i'll downgrade the new boxes to the same version as the current as that will save me the pain of going through change to upgrade prod boxes! Once i've got the config on the new boxes, i'll upgrade the software on them.

Thanks.

Tofana_237744

Hi RaghavendraSY,

Unfortunately, this didn't work! There were a few discrepancies with the configuration of the old units (interface name differences, mainly) which caused the upload to fail.

I managed to restore the config from the old appliance to the new, by matching the software version on the new box and then restoring from an SCF. It wasn't the most painless process, but it done the trick in the end!

Thanks for your help though, it was much appreciated.

• Hi,

You can use below command to perform no-platform-check

tmsh load sys ucs [ucs file name] no-platform-check

https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/16000/200/sol16216.html

You can also load UCS file with no -license

tmsh load sys ucs [ucs file name] no-license

My suggestion is:

1. Upgrade your old device to 12.1.2
    2. Then Export UCS file
    3. Import on new device (Configure with same name and management IP as old device)
    4. Once UCS file is loaded, you can change hostname and management IP to according to your requirement.

Hope this helps.

Tofana_237744

Hi RaghavendraSY,

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.

I'll give this a try, although I think i'll downgrade the new boxes to the same version as the current as that will save me the pain of going through change to upgrade prod boxes! Once i've got the config on the new boxes, i'll upgrade the software on them.

Thanks.

Tofana_237744

Hi RaghavendraSY,

Unfortunately, this didn't work! There were a few discrepancies with the configuration of the old units (interface name differences, mainly) which caused the upload to fail.

I managed to restore the config from the old appliance to the new, by matching the software version on the new box and then restoring from an SCF. It wasn't the most painless process, but it done the trick in the end!

Thanks for your help though, it was much appreciated.

• Sure. You can do that and keep devices in a new version.Please let me know the status.