Forum Discussion

Jan 10, 2024

Suggestions for non-techincal book to read?

What are the top 3-5 books of a non techincal nature --- or as close as you can get to non techincal?
Something to read on a plane ...   

7 Replies

• Non-fiction adventure reading. I tend to read things about mountaineering, challenging ice exploration, or even sea crossings. Something that is both a good historical recount, interspersed with personal challenge. Most recent book I read was 'The Pacific Alone: The Untold Story of Kayaking's Boldest Voyage'.

• My son has dragged me down a path of sci-fi,  Ender game series , inheritance series and the like.
    my top 3 would be 
    atlas shrugged
    enders game
    aragon

• Not-a-manual but still geeky:

• Sandworm, Andy Greenberg
    • The cuckoo's egg, Cliff Stoll
    • Ghost in the wires, Kevin Mitnick (RIP)

Good reads but not a novel:

• Kill it with fire, Marianne Bellotti
    • The joy of X, Steven Strogatz
    • The black swan, Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    • Drift into failure, Sidney Dekker

Stuff a good nerd should read occassionally:

• Practical packes analysis, Chris Sanders
    • OpenSSL cookbook, Ivan Ristić
    • DNS and BIND, Cricket Liu & Paul Albitz

Today only available in german:

• Der Rabbi und der Kommissar, three book crime series by Michel Bergmann
      The stories are set in my hometown Frankfurt.
    Hamish
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

Anything by Peter F Hamilton, or Neil Asher spring immediately to mind. Ian M Banks (Culture Series) as well and John Scalzi (Old Mans War). 

Christopher G Nuttal has also been quite good. And Glyn Stewart.

• Hi,
    I'm on a bit of a soft skills / leadership refresh at the moment and have found "Turn the Ship Around!" by L. David Marguet an amazing book on Leadership. Fully recommended. I used the spotify Audio book system which is new and i didn't know about until Christmas! Well worth looking into if you have a spotify account!

PhatANhappy
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

I have played with spotify - and audible - they all turn to a PAY ME app fairly quickly.
      I use libby  - its free, https://libbyapp.com/interview/welcome#doYouHaveACard
      you use a library card to get access to their virtual library.    You can add multiple cards -to get access to more books.   
      The reason i started this topic is so i can add books into my phone so i can digest a few durning travels to app world.

PSFletchTheTek
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Yeah that's fair with Spotify and i'll have a look at Libby thanks.
        The reason i meantion Spotify as its been kept pretty quite is that if you have a paid for account or are the main account owning a family membership you get 15 hours or audio book a month as part of that subscription.  Which really i fell over one day rather than being told about.

Not all books are under that subscription, but a lot are.