Hamish
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Feb 12, 2014

AppViewX

Has anyone here ever used AppViewX?

• Good/Bad experience?

H

16 Replies

• We have deployed AppViewX in a large enterprise... It is very useful to get the information to the end user quicker.... Very helpful with its RBAC and offloading simple task to L1... Deployment of new VS is a work in progress with our version 11.x. If I had to do it over I would purchase it again.. Very helpful..

• The licensing works like this..

For ADC+ module it is per VIP/WIP and this includes the Cert+ module to manage all Certs on the ADC+..

The Firewall Module is per physical device.

To manage Certificates not hosted on an ADC+ this is Per Object, but sold in blocks, like 500/1000/2000 blocks.

When I was evaluating the product for just the ADC+ module it about worked out to $7-$10 per VIP/WIP, and the larger the license count the more this decreases...

As a comparison I also evaluated AppDynamics as well and this license count per node came out to $700... Now mind you AppDyanmics is a different type of reporting tool...

• We have used AppViewX in our enterprise for a short time Here is what I found to be of interest. 1. Inventory of all F5 assets 2. Management of our certificates 3. Template helpful for migration from legacy systems to new systems. 4. RBAC allows other groups ( NOC ) etc to have non direct access to F5 and perform limited functionality. 5. Reporting features 6. Compare and rollback features are a must. The challenges I see 1. Poor documentation. 2. Radius only supports authentication not authorization so you will have to manage all those other groups in AppViewX 3. Some basic features are not apart of gui but thats fine if your comfortable with command line... if not use a tool like winscp.
  • Anyone have experience with this as an orchestration and/or automation tool? Curious to see how easily AppviewX would integrate with Infoblox and PaloAlto, for example. Would be nice to have a simple, single point to automate LTM, DNS, and FW updates for a new load-balancing request. Trying to make a decision on pursuing a POC; those guys at Payoda are relentless (2-3 calls a day, plus an email).

• I personally have deployed and administered the AppViewX system to manage an enterprise application domain consisting of 200+ load balancer device (F5, A10) both LTM/SLB and GTM/GSLB. With the introduction of the application came instant ability to map an application instances from FQDN down to individual real service agents, reconfigure traffic flows at the click-of-a-button, and manage SSL certficate updates. All of these functions and permissions were customized for individual application support teams and extended as both a self-service WebUI and API instance. Additional development is underway to improve the business system automation of deploying/maintaining the load balanced application domain, as well as integrate with enterprise service monitoring and alert management.

My organization has seen a tremendous benefit from implementing the solution and we hope to continue to leverage the platform in order to improve business systems and automate processes.

• Hi,

We used AppviewX to restrict the access of the development teams only to their servers rather than having access to all the other servers on F5. It took us a while for us to configure and get this working but it is cool and easy now.

Thanks, Sri Harsha Dasari