Forum Discussion

Hannes_Rapp
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 04, 2016

ASM: Case-insensitive entities

Policy_Export.xml:

true

If the case_insensitive parameter is set to 'true', are there any parts of the configuration that will remain to be treated as case-sensitive?

What will happen if policy has a parameter named

LOGIN.data
while policy is configured as case-insensitive? (are the exceptions configured in the parameter bypassed, or are they still valid?)

4 Replies

Richard_Karon_7
    Historic F5 Account

I don't see a version so I will use the latest.

From https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_asm/manuals/product/asm-implementations-12-0-0/29.html :

"By default, the option Security Policy is case sensitive is selected, and the security policy treats file types, URLs, and parameters as case-sensitive. "

So creating the policy as case insensitive, it follows that all file types, URLS, and parameters are now case-insensitive. Elements will stored as lowercase. (from menu help)

I am not sure I understand your specific question, but here is an example case insensitivity setting

GET /index.php?UPDOWN=ROLLER HTTP/1.1

GET /index.php?UPdown=ROLLer HTTP/1.1

Both gather under

Illegal parameter:: Parameter: updown on [HTTP] /index.php (notice the lower case for parameter)

Remember, this case-insensitivity can only be selected at creation of the policy.

Hannes_Rapp
      Thanks for the explanation, Richard. Actually the reason for asking is that I was migrating case-sensitive policies to case-insensitive. Apart from minor issue, I got this change executed successfully. Case-sensitivity setting can be modified in existing policies, it's just not very straight-forward to do so
  • I don't see a version so I will use the latest.

From https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_asm/manuals/product/asm-implementations-12-0-0/29.html :

"By default, the option Security Policy is case sensitive is selected, and the security policy treats file types, URLs, and parameters as case-sensitive. "

So creating the policy as case insensitive, it follows that all file types, URLS, and parameters are now case-insensitive. Elements will stored as lowercase. (from menu help)

I am not sure I understand your specific question, but here is an example case insensitivity setting

GET /index.php?UPDOWN=ROLLER HTTP/1.1

GET /index.php?UPdown=ROLLer HTTP/1.1

Both gather under

Illegal parameter:: Parameter: updown on [HTTP] /index.php (notice the lower case for parameter)

Remember, this case-insensitivity can only be selected at creation of the policy.

Hannes_Rapp
      Thanks for the explanation, Richard. Actually the reason for asking is that I was migrating case-sensitive policies to case-insensitive. Apart from minor issue, I got this change executed successfully. Case-sensitivity setting can be modified in existing policies, it's just not very straight-forward to do so