Forum Discussion

pavan_Gopparaju
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 30, 2016
Solved

Changing Hostname for a device in HA pair

Hi, I have an LTM pair configured in HA and i would like to change the hostname for my standby device. will this effect my HA connection or the device trust by any means...!!

I'm running on 11.6.0 and i did found this article in regards to changing the hostname but i'm not sure about changing only the hostname without effecting the HA connection and the device trust as i'm not particular in having a same device name and hostname.

https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/15000/700/sol15700.html

any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• will this effect my HA connection or the device trust by any mean..

It will lose HA connectivity & both device will work as Active-Active and that cause traffic disruption.

While changing device name, you need to reset device trust & rebuilt DSC group once again. I have followed same process which has given in article.

5 Replies

• will this effect my HA connection or the device trust by any mean..

It will lose HA connectivity & both device will work as Active-Active and that cause traffic disruption.

While changing device name, you need to reset device trust & rebuilt DSC group once again. I have followed same process which has given in article.

• As previous answer said you will need to break the device trust group, and re-do the HA configuration. However, you can do it without facing any negative impact if you put your Standby unit in the ForcedOffline state.

I would do this on an active production system during business hours, but if it's your first try, schedule a normal change during off-peak hours.

Regards,

• Hi guys

I think first we need to ask if he rly needs to change only hostname or device name .. I tried this last week and when i changed hostname from gui everything was ok but i needed to change name also and THAN HA failed like guys above are writing ... i changed hostname from cli .

pavan_Gopparaju
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hi,

i want to change only the hostname, but not the device name because the device name is already same for the devices in the HA pair. so can i change the hostname without effecting the HA connection and services...?

slesh_219299
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

Imo yes . But it would be good to make it in lab also to be sure . And u can always ask tac support of F5 . In my option it worked ... So it would be good to have also another opinion on that .