Forum Discussion

4 Replies

• GTM pools are quite different to LTM pools and as such there is no direct "priority" attribute associated with each pool member. There is an "order" attribute however that you can assign to each pool member which will affect the weighting based on which LB method you are using.

If you want to send traffic to "pool1" in preference to "pool2" but have traffic go to pool2 in the case where all members of pool1 fail or at capacity then you could define two seperate GTM pools and set the LB method to "global availablity" for the wideIP. Then define pool1 with "order 0" and pool2 with "order 1". This will then give pool1 the more preferred priority.

You can do the same thing at the GTM pool level as well (e.g. if you just want to define a single GTM pool for your wideIP). In this case set the GTM pool preferred LB method to "global availability" and define the poolmember1 with "order 0" and poolmember2 with "order 1".

Now to answer your question. Assuming you did this at the pool level and you had a GTM pool called "gtmpool" using "global availability" with two pool members "gtmpoolmember1" (order 0) preferred over "gtmpoolmember2" (order 1), then the tmsh command to change the preference order would be:

modify gtm pool gtmpool members modify { /Common/bigip.domain.com:/Common/gtmpoolmember1 { order 1 } }

After running this gtmpoolmember1 will have order 1 and gtmpoolmember2 will have order 0. As a result gtmpoolmember2 will now be preferred.

bigipjr28_13978
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      Thanks again for this. We just upgraded our gtms to 11.4.1 the cmds I was using previously on 10.2.2 worked but not on 11.4.1. Once I realized that and Used the cmds that you suggested it worked..thanks again
      bigipjr28_13978
      on 2nd thought I had to put the name of the actual pool I want to specifiy...its this { /Common/bigip.domain.com:/Common/gtmpoolmember1 { order 1 } } that I am unsure of now..thanks again
      bigipjr28_13978
      Thanks Mike, I tied to issue the command but does not work. I get as far as modify gtm pool then the command doesn't complete..there is no such option gtmpool after using the question mark...