Forum Discussion

Daniel_55334
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Apr 08, 2008

LTM network failover

From the manual I got that LTM can use network to determine if the active unit is working fine if network failover is enabled. And for synchronization it is recommended that a separate segment is used solely for this purpose (directly connecting both units). Would LTM use this segment for detecting network failover? What if this link is down? Does this trigger failover? Thanks for any input.

14 Replies

• The serial cable does not carry ANY packets, it only carries voltage between the 2 units.

Without any failsafe mechanism configured (say, out of the box in default set up) the unit will failover under following conditions:

1. Memory utilization goes above (95 or 97%)

2. Processe(s) listed under "system -> High Availability" dies or conditions listed there is met

3. Power supply (provided it is not dual power supply unit and one still functions) failed and the unit shuts off.

4. Disk or some other component failed and stops TMM from normal function

I may be forgetting some, but those are what I can think of.
  • It claims that the failover time using serial cable is less than 1 second. Does it count starting from the time that the active unit claims itself dead after some kind of failsafe method (e.g. VLAN failsafe with 10 sec timeout)? So this failover will be triggered in about 11 seconds?
  • So is it correct to assume that failure of one of the power supplies in a 6400 with dual supplies does not initiate a failover? Does this apply to fan failures and resultant rise in temperature? So hard to find such info in their manuals..TIA.
  • If you have redundant power supplies, would you want LTM to fail over when one PSU fails?

The high availability table shows the events, actions and status for fail over. You can get more info on this from the CLI using 'b ha table help'. I think there are a few related solutions on AskF5 as well.

Aaron