Forum Discussion

rickd
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 06, 2023

Monitoring MySQL 8 / mysql_native_password being deprecated

Is anyone monitoring MySQL 8 databases?   

If so, how are you dealing with mysql_native_password being deprecated?   

I tried using cachine_sha2_password on a remote MySQL 8 database since it's the new default.  However, /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/caching_sha2_password.so isn't on on BIGIP version 15.10.1.   It doesn't look like that plugin is availabe on BIGIP version 16.x or 17.x either.

At this moment in time, mysql_native_password is still available.   I would like to deal with this proactively since the feature will be removed at some point.

2 Replies

rickd
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Thanks for the suggestion!

This will work in a pinch if mysql_native_password should be deleted before F5 provides and update.  I tested this in the lab and was able to create a viable montior using bash and the mysql client that was in the mysql8 tar file.

Full disclosure.  Previously, I was using an external monitor using perl and that doesn't work.   

Hopefully, F5 will provide an update so that maintaining this configuration isn't necessary.

• You can try to use external monitor as workaround:

1. extract mysql 8 tar package in F5 (using the linux cli), preferably in /var/tmp folder.
    Do this in both active and standby node.
    In mysql.com download, select "linux generic" to get the tar package options.

2. in f5 web gui (local traffic >>> monitor), create external LTM monitor containing script executing proper mysql command:
    #!/bin/sh
    /var/tmp/..../mysql .....

3. assign the external monitor to the pool