Forum Discussion

xmzpfk123
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 30, 2024

Question the failover status of a device

hello.
I am currently using my devices in active standby, but when I check the status with show sys failover cable in the device cli, it shows 0 for both devices.
Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?
Thanks.

• xmzpfk123   This is what I was able to find for your question,  

Based on the provided contexts, the command "show sys failover cable" is used to check the status of the failover cable in the device CLI. The output of this command can be interpreted as follows:

- If the output returns "cable state 0", it means that the active unit should detect zero (0) from its peer on the failover cable.
    - If the output returns "cable state 1", it means that the standby unit should detect one (1) from its peer on the failover cable.
    - If the output returns "cable state unset", it means that the system does not detect a failover cable connected between the devices, indicating that hardwired failover is not configured.

Therefore, if the "show sys failover cable" command shows 0 for both devices, it means that the active unit is not detecting any signal from its peer on the failover cable. This could indicate a problem with the failover cable connection or configuration.

One of the suggestions I was able to find also mentioned making sure that the fail over cable is showing as set and that the Hardwires failover is set to enable in TMSH

1 Reply

• xmzpfk123   This is what I was able to find for your question,  

Based on the provided contexts, the command "show sys failover cable" is used to check the status of the failover cable in the device CLI. The output of this command can be interpreted as follows:

- If the output returns "cable state 0", it means that the active unit should detect zero (0) from its peer on the failover cable.
    - If the output returns "cable state 1", it means that the standby unit should detect one (1) from its peer on the failover cable.
    - If the output returns "cable state unset", it means that the system does not detect a failover cable connected between the devices, indicating that hardwired failover is not configured.

Therefore, if the "show sys failover cable" command shows 0 for both devices, it means that the active unit is not detecting any signal from its peer on the failover cable. This could indicate a problem with the failover cable connection or configuration.

One of the suggestions I was able to find also mentioned making sure that the fail over cable is showing as set and that the Hardwires failover is set to enable in TMSH