Forum Discussion

Jun 29, 2016
Solved

SSL cert alias

We are in the process of generating new SSL certs with a new domain- I wanted to know how to retrieve the alias that are associated with the SSL certs.

• Which one are you looking for - the second common name (SAN), or alias of the certificate? To see the Subject Alternative Name(s) (SAN), you can use openssl and grep for DNS. Alternatively, just import the certificate to BigIP and open the certificate object in GUI

(System > File Management > SSL Certificate List)

OpenSSL

Cert SAN:

openssl x509 -noout -text -in /path-to-cert-file.pem | grep DNS

Cert Alias:
    openssl x509 -noout -alias -in /path-to-cert-file.pem

5 Replies

• Which one are you looking for - the second common name (SAN), or alias of the certificate? To see the Subject Alternative Name(s) (SAN), you can use openssl and grep for DNS. Alternatively, just import the certificate to BigIP and open the certificate object in GUI

OpenSSL

Cert SAN:

Cert Alias:
      newbief5_162606
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      I am looking for the alias. I tried the openSSL command below but it doesn't seem to work.

OpenSSL

Cert SAN:

Cert Alias:
      newbief5_162606
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      I am looking for the alias. I tried the openSSL command below but it doesn't seem to work.
  • Thanks! I was able to get it work using this syntax:

openssl x509 -in /config/filestore/ftextiles_d/Common_d/certificate_d/:Common:[www.test.com.crt_1](http://www.test.com.crt_1 -alias -noout
    `