Forum Discussion

Jul 21, 2023
Solved

steps to configuring mx record by using wide IP

dear, 

I try to search on how we can configure mx record using wilde ip, is there any article describe the steps , how we can configure this 

• Hello Amr_Ali , 

It's applicable in Bigip DNS , Follow these Steps : 

Assume you have only two records or 2 ips for mail server.

Follow these steps : 

1. Create 2 pools type A record Asume these names ( First_Pool & Second_Pool )  , each pool has one pool member / virtual server ( one of the above ips  in each pool ) 
    2. Create 2 Wide ips type A record  Assume these FQDNs (  first.mail.com & second.mail.com ).
    3. attach the above ( First_Pool to first.mail.com wide ip & Second_Pool to second.mail.com wide ip ) 
    4. Create a new POOL assume this name  ( Mail_pool ) , Type MX record , and attach these Wide IPs
      ( first.mail.com & second.mail.com ) on this newly POOL and give theme the required preference.
    5. Create New Wide IP , Type MX record , Assume this name ( mail.com) 
      And attach to this Wide ip this pool ( Mail_pool )
      Switch From ( Basic to Advanced ) Configuration then you will see this feature Minimal Response >> select disabled to see all information about this MX record during testing >>>> Then Click Finish or update if you edit something. 
    6. Test your configs using dig utility 
      dig @Bigip_Listner_IP mail.com mx 

you will see the selected MX recored and resolved final A record in the additional section. 

I tested it and it worked , so it's your turn and let me know the updates 🙂 

2 Replies

• I am just confused about something, To create an MX record with wild IP, i need to create a server then create vs, then create a pool and add vs to it, and then attach this pool to wild ip, 

in this situation what kind of server, it will be the IP of the mail gateway that used in my environment 

• Hello Amr_Ali , 

It's applicable in Bigip DNS , Follow these Steps : 

Assume you have only two records or 2 ips for mail server.

Follow these steps : 

1. Create 2 pools type A record Asume these names ( First_Pool & Second_Pool )  , each pool has one pool member / virtual server ( one of the above ips  in each pool ) 
    2. Create 2 Wide ips type A record  Assume these FQDNs (  first.mail.com & second.mail.com ).
    3. attach the above ( First_Pool to first.mail.com wide ip & Second_Pool to second.mail.com wide ip ) 
    4. Create a new POOL assume this name  ( Mail_pool ) , Type MX record , and attach these Wide IPs
      ( first.mail.com & second.mail.com ) on this newly POOL and give theme the required preference.
    5. Create New Wide IP , Type MX record , Assume this name ( mail.com) 
      And attach to this Wide ip this pool ( Mail_pool )
      Switch From ( Basic to Advanced ) Configuration then you will see this feature Minimal Response >> select disabled to see all information about this MX record during testing >>>> Then Click Finish or update if you edit something. 
    6. Test your configs using dig utility 
      dig @Bigip_Listner_IP mail.com mx 

you will see the selected MX recored and resolved final A record in the additional section. 

I tested it and it worked , so it's your turn and let me know the updates 🙂